External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Monday called on Afghan President Ashraf Ghani here and shared India's perspectives on the peace process in the war-torn country. Jaishankar is here in the capital of Tajikistan for the 9th Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process (HoA-IP) ministerial conference to be held on Tuesday. "Honour to call on President @ashrafghani before the commencement of @HeartofAsia_IP Conference. Shared our perspectives on the peace process," Jaishankar tweeted. Last week, Jaishankar said that India would like to clearly see a sovereign democratic and inclusive Afghanistan that takes into account the interests of its minorities. "There is something called the peace and reconciliation process and everybody else is saying that the Taliban is reaching out and changing etc. Let us wait and watch," he had said. The Taliban and the Afghan government are holding direct talks to end 19 years of war that has killed tens of thousands of people and ravaged various parts of
United States President Joe Biden said it is going to be hard to meet the May 1 deadline to pull out US troops from Afghanistan as per the deal made during the Donald Trump administration
Afghanistan Foreign Minister Mohammad Atmar said he came on the visit to India to discuss bilateral relations between Delhi and Kabul and to look at ways to expand ties in the best interest of the two
The besieged country looks for a breather
Seven people were killed and three others injured in various security incidents in the last 24 hours in Kabul
The strategic situation in the Indo-Pacific and the Afghan peace process figured prominently in talks between External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin on Saturday
UN chief Antonio Guterres has appointed veteran French diplomat Jean Arnault as his personal envoy on Afghanistan and regional issues, authorising him to liaise with regional countries on his behalf
President Joe Biden says that it will be tough for the US to meet a May 1 deadline to withdraw troops from Afghanistan but that the complete drawdown won't take much longer. The deadline to end America's longest war six weeks from now was set under an agreement reached by former President Donald Trump and the Taliban, without the buy-in of the Afghan government. Biden, in an interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos that aired Wednesday, said he was consulting with allies on the pace of the drawdown. Of meeting the May 1 deadline, he said it could happen, but it is tough. If the deadline is extended, he added, it won't be by a lot longer. Biden, like his predecessor, has promised to end the nearly 20-year conflict and bring home more than 2,500 American troops in the country down from about 13,000 troops a year ago. The Trump deal caught some American allies off guard, as the roughly 7,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan rely on the US for logistics and security support. That was
The US is working closely with Afghan parties to encourage progress on a political settlement and a comprehensive ceasefire, the Biden Administration said
Blinken wrote to Afghan President Ghani proposing a UN-led peace conference with representatives of six countries including India to discuss a "unified approach to supporting peace in Afghanistan"
The United States is seeking to support a diplomatic solution to help Afghans achieve a political settlement and a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire, the Biden administration said on Wednesday. The State Department said Special US Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad has concluded three days of consultations in Kabul with government officials, civil society and women leaders, and other Afghan political figures. "With all parties, I outlined our focus on Afghanistan, diplomacy, and garnering wider international support in order to help Afghans make more rapid progress on the peace process, Khalilzad said in a tweet. The Islamic Republic and the Taliban must find a path to a political settlement and a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire. In Kabul, I discussed various options/alternatives to propel the process forward, Khalilzad said. This is an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned process, State Department Spokesperson Ned Price told reporters at his daily news ..
US State Department has announced the resumption of talks with Taliban as the US Special Representative for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad is set to visit Kabul, Doha and other regional capitals
President Joe Biden''s administration is reviewing the U.S.-Taliban peace deal that was signed February 29 last year
The priority for the Afghan government, Washington and NATO is a serious reduction in violence leading to a cease fire
The intra-Afghan peace negotiations began in the Qatari capital of Doha on September 12
Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin has said the US will not undertake a hasty or disorderly withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan, stressing that violence must decrease now in the war-torn country
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Friday expressed concern over the current level of violence in Afghanistan and urged all sides to take measures towards a ceasefire in the war-torn country. He was talking to Afghan leader Ahmed Wali Massoud, who is head of Massoud Foundation and is visiting Pakistan, according to the Foreign Office (FO). During the meeting, the two focused on the Afghan Peace Process and Pakistan-Afghanistan bilateral relations. The foreign minister expressed serious concern at the current level of violence and underscored that all sides must take measures for reduction in violence leading to ceasefire. He also underlined the need for being vigilant about the role of spoilers. Highlighting that Pakistan had no favourites in Afghanistan, Qureshi reiterated that Pakistan's message to all sides was to work together constructively for a peaceful, stable and prosperous Afghanistan, which would open new vistas for trade, economic cooperation and regional ...
The Taliban is yet to comment on the ANA rescue operations. More details are awaited
President Joe Biden is reviewing his predecessor's 2020 deal with the Taliban, which includes a May 1 deadline for a final U.S. troop withdrawal
An accelerated US drawdown over the past few months, led by the previous US administration, has signaled what may be in store for long-suffering Afghans